It’s no secret – most kids, teens, and adults love to bake! But sometimes baking the same old classic confectionary treats can get monotonous – especially with teenagers! That is why improvements and new concepts & developments can help bring interest to teens and that is why we are bringing you the most popular edible baking trend for 2019. But first, let’s take a look at edible printing.
Edible printing has come a long way since its inception and images & designs have gotten more and more sophisticated over the years. Edible printing does have its limitations in creativity, however, and that is why producing yummy writings and drawings using edible markers is ideal.
Edible markers, also known as edible pens, are used to write on food as well as make colorful, edible decorations that are truly fun and creative. You can add a personal touch to cakes, cookies, marshmallows and other foods for on-demand printing without the use of a clunky printer.
How do you use food coloring pens?
Edible markers are very fun to draw on sweets with – especially marshmallows! Marshmallow art is the quickest, easiest, and most kid-friendly way to create edible art and you don’t need to have any experience with baking. Plus, edible markers are FDA approved and allow for a unique expression of artistry.
What are the best foods to draw on with food coloring pens?
The best sweets and treats compatible with edible marker pens are:
- Marshmallows – these are already ready to write on and you can use a wooden skewer to make fun designs, especially for the holidays!
- Fondant – roll it out and cover cookies, cupcakes or cakes with fondant, or make 3D designs and use the marker to add fun details!
- Royal icing – let it dry overnight and then go to town on fun designs!
What type of foods are not recommended for edible colored markers?
- Candy melts – the fats in these candies will cause you to have a difficult time writingwith edible writers – even if the candy melts have cooled down and hardened.
- Buttercream frosting – this type of frosting won’t fully harden, and the bumps and grooves make this a very poor surface to try to write on.
5 quick tips for using food coloring pens!
- Let your surface dry well before using the writers.
- Marshmallows and fondant will stiffen if left out for an hour or so.
- Flooded royal icing MUST dry overnight.
- Don’t try to layer colors over one another because the bottom color will show through.
- When switching colors, let the first color set about ten minutes so that it doesn’t bleed when trying to use another color.
Smaller cupcakes are nice because you do not have to slice them and are less messy than larger cakes. Using edible markers on cupcakes is ideal for bday parties and gift-giving because of the less-mess, less-stress ideology. Thus, you can use different colors of food markers to draw something personalized for the person’s bday and for the guests. If you want to get creative, there are a variety of ways to make cupcakes unique and that is to top them differently. Depending on your skill level and attention to detail, you truly can make a masterpiece with the right patience and determination. Focusing on the small, intricate details, requires a lot more work but the end product can be quite rewarding!
Once you’ve established the theme of your masterpiece, be sure to balance the amount of time you spend on each and pick a design and theme that will not be overly complicated. Dressing up your miniature confections allows you to personalize and customize them to your particular theme and event.
Are you ready to have some fun?